Saturday 1 June 2013

Spares

Spares is a brilliant example of British sci-fi. I enjoyed it so much more during my second read and I will most definitely be revisiting it for a third time in the future. Michael Marshall Smith also writes under the name Michael Marshall, where he focuses on crime/thriller novels. I wrote about his Straw Men Trilogy recently.

Spares is the second novel from author Michael Marshall Smith, it focuses on Jack Randall, a burnt out, ex cop who has spent the last five years on a spares farm. Here he looks after spares, clones of the wealthy to be used as spare parts should any accidents happen, or transplants be required.

Michael creates an incredibly detailed and unique world, a common trait in his other sci-fi novels Only Forward and One of Us, which I plan on writing about later. He has a knack for taking his narrative in such unexpected and surprising directions that I can only describe it as genius and truly original.

Spares can be very funny in parts too, which I absolutely love. I later learnt that Michael used to be a comedy writer for the BBC and it really shows here, there were moments where I truly laughed. However, the book manages to go from humorous to sinister in the flick of a switch in parts, which really help in creating a strong contrast and drives home the seriousness of the current situation.

Final Words

I truly enjoy Michael's sci-fi novels. No other books have captured my imagination in the same way since and the imagery it created in my head still sticks with me to this day.

Thoughts and opinions on this book are more than welcome and if you can recommend any similar sci-fi novels on par with this then please do!

If you would like to find out more about Spares, or purchase your own copy, you can head on over to Amazon.

Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment