Sunday 2 June 2013

Only Forward

Only Forward book cover

The debut novel from Michael Marshall Smith, Only forward is a masterpiece, plain and simple. It won the Philip K.Dick and August Derleth awards It is one of the most original sci-fi novels I have and will ever read.

Our main character Stark, an interesting and amusing man has been asked to find a missing person. The story takes place in a wonderfully imagined world where the entire country is covered in neighborhoods, from coast to coast. These neighborhoods come in all shapes and sizes that are geared towards the desires of its residents. A neighborhood dedicated to colour, one for people who constantly need to be doing something, a neighborhood solely for cats and one for deranged criminals.

I found this book incredibly funny in parts, it’s more light hearted than Spares, Michael’s second sci-fi novel that is of a similar style and qualities, but is much darker in my opinion.

I am in love with this world that Michael creates. Each neighborhood is so vastly different and the vivid detail leaves a clear image in your head that will forever stay with you.

I’ve read Only Forward twice, like most of Michael’s books, who also writes under the name Michael Marshall. I’ve blogged about his Straw Men trilogy which I absolutely love and highly recommend.

As with Spares, Michael has a knack for developing the story in a direction so unusual and original that I can only describe it as genius. When I first read it I was blown away by the storyline, it is amazing and provided me with a truly unique experience.

Final words

I try to be reasonable in understanding that not everyone likes the same thing. However, in the case case of this book, if you’re a sci-fi fan, you really need to read this book and if you don’t like it then I just can’t understand how that could be possible.

I’d love to hear what others think, regardless of whether you liked it or not and if you have similar recommendations, please let me know.

If you'd like to find out more about Only Forward or to purchase your own copy, you can head over to Amazon.

Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment